View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Argie's Wife

Although I agree that it's not great timing on the part of our governor to pick a new state symbol, I disagree that NH has turned into such as bad place to live.

Political views aside, we have a beautiful state with mountains, beaches, lakes, and forests. People are still moving here from other states because we have low crime rates, affordable housing in many areas, and there's still jobs available (depending on the industry, of course, but hey, when you have bills to pay... you do what you have to do...)

I'm proud to live here. I love my little town - quirks and all. That's just life in rural NH. Exploring new communities (road trips!) is something I love to do... We have a great state - take time to appreciate it and enjoy it. And if you don't like the political climate, I hope you're doing something to change it, even if it's just calling or emailing your local representatives with your concerns.

Some things to consider:
NH voted first on the Declaration of Independence
The Treaty of Portsmouth - ending the Russo-Japanese War in 1905
NH was home to Robert Frost, John Irving, John Stark, Christa McAliffe, Franklin Pierce, Alan Shepard, Henry Wilson, and others...
NH was the first state to have its own state constitution
There's no sales tax or state income tax
Overall, New Hampshire remains ranked 49th among states in combined average state and local tax burden
NH is first in the primary election
NH is linked to the Appalachian Trail

... and there's more... (of course!)

And we have the most beautiful and fragrant state flower - the lilac - which is blooming now... I'm off to enjoy my day.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post: