View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #69
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Reading comprehension 101: I never said people chose to fail, I said they didn't choose to succeed.

My first job after high school? A gas station, pumping gas. My next job: a different gas station 1 mile down the road. But I had goals and wanted a boat. I even dreamed about a house on Winnipesaukee some day. Starting in 1970 I would cruise the lake in my boat and admire the waterfront homes, wondering how I could ever get there. I had no family there and no property (or money) to inherit.

No one ever gave me 5 cents but I figured out a path to have a boat (and many more) and eventually buy a waterfront home on the lake. I worked a lot of hours, sometimes at three different jobs, trying to get ahead. I am not special, gifted, or lucky, I just decided it was worth the the effort to do the work to get there. And I did. After 14 years on the lake I still get up every morning that I am there and look out at the lake and smile. I am very grateful to have a home there.

I believe that at a young age everyone has the same opportunity. It is the decisions that follow that determine where and how far they will go.

I am grateful that I didn’t have Thinking as a parent. I would not have pushed myself and worked hard to achieve any level of success. What’s the point, the little guy can’t get ahead, right? There’s no point in trying to be a little smarter, work a little harder, do things outside your comfort zone. The deck is stacked against us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Major is offline   Reply With Quote