View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 02:46 PM   #20
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
Major, though we disagree, I respect your position as one that at least has a reasonable amount of reality and thought behind it. My previous comments were only to correct various points of misinformation. We should all be able to acknowledge that this bill hits NJ (and other blue state) property owners hard, and it provides the best benefits for those already rich while giving only modest breaks to the vast majority of the 83% you mention. Also likely to increase the national debt by over a trillion dollars. Except for the debt impact, even Republican leaders in DC do not dispute these points.
Understood. However, I find it funny that when Obamacare was introduced, Democrats proudly announced that each family will save $2,500 on health insurance, like $2,500 was a lot of money. (For the record, I think $2,500 is significant. Also, I will refrain from commenting on the financial effect of Obamacare on health insurance.) Now, the $2000 or so tax break the present tax reform will afford each family is being called "modest." Also, for years conservatives (not Republicans) have been concerned about the national debt, with no word from Democrats. Now, all of a sudden, Democrats are frantic about the debt.

Although I pay MA state taxes, I agree with the Republican approach to punish blue states. Government can succeed with less taxes, and maybe those states should consider eliminating state income taxes, which I think is the goal.

As stated above, the issue is spending, not revenue. Government (U.S. and state) severely needs to be pared back. We have a spending problem.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote