View Single Post
Old 12-27-2018, 08:39 PM   #6
Cobalt

Default Propane vs Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I'm new to propane gas user, with new home purchase this past June,
coming from oil heat, and concerned about my propane usage ?

I have a 2200 SF house, which is 14 yrs old, very well insulated, Marvin windows, gas furnace with separate hot water heater.

We keep the thermostats at 68 degrees in the main living area durning the day, then lower to 65 degrees at night. The upstairs bedrooms are kept at a constant 65 degrees.

I had 356 gal delivered on 12/6 to fill the tank (500 gal in ground, they only fill tank to 80-85%) and another 193 gal delivered today (12/27), which means I've burned about 10 gal per day ! The gas delivery driver did note that the gas regulator was covered with frost/ice, and the same with the gas hose line to the house ( Is this normal ?)

10 gal propane usage per day seems rather excessive !
Furnace was turned up in Sept., and assuming all was good?

Does 10 gal per day seem like a normal usage ?
We don't keep the house really warm, but comfortable, it's not like we're sitting around in our underwear, and wife is compiling she's always cold.

Thanks,
Bigdog

Some other factors to consider when comparing the two fuels:

Pros of heating with Propane

Propane gas generally has a lower cost per gallon than heating oil
Propane equipment typically runs more efficiently than heating oil equipment
Propane produces almost no carbon dioxide when burned
Propane heating equipment requires less maintenance and last longer than heating oil-based equipment, since propane burns cleaner
Propane is stored as gas and is nontoxic and nonpoisonous, so it can’t pool and contaminate groundwater or soil if it leaks; that means propane tanks can be safely installed underground
Propane appliances can be vented using regular PVC pipe through the roof or a wall rather than through a chimney
Propane can also be used to power other high efficiency appliances such as ranges, water heaters, and pool heaters – all from the same fuel tank

Cons of heating with Propane

Propane produces fewer BTUs than oil heating
Propane-burning equipment is typically more expensive up front than oil burning equipment
Propane requires special safety precautions, since the gas is combustible in air

Pros of heating with Fuel Oil

Heating oil has a higher BTU output per gallon and is used up more slowly than propane – which could mean you will pay less to heat your house with heating oil, even if the per gallon cost of propane is less
Oil-burning equipment generally costs less to purchase than propane-burning equipment

Cons of heating with Fuel Oil

Heating oil tanks – especially older steel-lined ones – can leak; an oil spill can be extremely costly to clean up, and it’s an expense that is often not covered by home owner’s insurance
Heating oil prices are more volatile than propane, since most of the heating oil supply comes from off shore and is subject to global market forces; most propane is produced in the US
Heating oil produces much more carbon dioxide gas than propane when burned
Oil-burning appliances require more frequent cleaning and maintenance
In an oil burning home, most other appliances – including water heaters, ranges, clothes dryers, etc.) are run by inefficient electricity rather than propane
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote