Thread: Gas Fireplace ?
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #13
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlake97 View Post
Seems like a good thread to ask this question: Can anyone recommend a good gas/propane fireplace service/repair person? We have a small Mendota (model: Chelsea) propane fireplace (with logs) that does a GREAT job of heating the small room it's located in. However, it recently stopped lighting. The pilot light (constant on) remains lit, but neither the manual switch nor the remote will turn on the flame. I've read up on all the usual possibilities (thermopile, thermocouple, faulty wiring, etc.), but the inner workings of this model seem too tucked in for me to consider fiddling around with anything. We purchased it from Fireside Living in Laconia, but their service person seems stretched too thin (covers 3 stores, they tell me), and has not even called us back yet to schedule an appointment. So...I'm looking for alternatives. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Another little trick that I've used over the years....get a Q tip and some rubbing alcohol and clean the thermocoupling and thermopile...they get covered in soot from the pilot flame and cause it to shut down.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote