Thread: Gas Fireplace ?
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #6
MeredithMan

Default Gas logs & gas fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I plan to build a house the Spring and sorting through the possible options I plan to have installed.
One item I am considering, is a gas log fireplace. The gas log fireplace will have a 'blower' attached.
What do folks thing of this setup ? How expensive would this be to run throughout the winter ?

FYI, the entire house will be setup with propane gas heat, as the main source of heat, as such I will be joining a gas Co-Op, to curb pricing.
We have both gas logs and enclosed gas fireplaces in our primary home and at the lake. Gas logs give a very realistic "wood fire" look. Depending on local laws, you can have them either "open" with no glass doors or with glass doors. If you are converting a wood-burning fireplace, the damper will need to be either completely removed or bolted open, (which is why having the glass doors is a good idea)

The enclosed gas fireplace can be with or without the blower. We have one of each and we rarely, (never), use the blower. We find it to be rather loud and annoying. Whether you go with gas logs or enclosed gas fireplace, I would highly recommend a remote...makes starting and shutting it off effortless. I would not count on the gas logs or fireplace as a heating source...they are great for ambience and taking the chill off a room, but that is about it.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote