View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #174
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Nope sure don't, but you do need to be careful doing this!!!!

Being the only idiot on Bear Island on a beautiful 85 degree day, PRICELESS!

Ice report, what I went through had no structure to it, just ice tubes and maybe 2-3 inches in length. Ice line as I was leaving was as follows, to the north between 3 mile and the beavers then to black cat. All clear to right about six mile blocking access to the LI bridge then from what I could see opens back up 3/4 the way down LI and over towards Welch. Between Pine and shore was clear to where it opens up between bear and shore. What ice is there (what I pushed through) just needs wind to clear it out. Ice has receded about 1/4 the way out from Bear and there are large breaks here and there of open water. About half way between sheps and cattle it opens up again all the way down past cattle and into the open area beyond the narrows there.

It won't be long however some areas do look like there is still even after all this warmth still bright white ice.

Meredith bay looks ready to go at least the first 1/3 of it very dark almost black, the ice does turn to a lighter grey looking down towards weirs.

Water temp on the fish finder was 38 degrees.
A little tidbit...the condition of the ice you describe is called "Candle Ice" as it looks like thousands of little candles vertically stacked together. In a slight breeze they rub together making a tinkling sound. It's cool to actually hear it happen.

BT