View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Belmont Resident

Default Bad experience with Pella windows

So I’m slowly replacing windows in our 1790 house with new construction windows. I’m not looking for anything special. (After all anything is better then what is there now)
So after looking around I opted for the Lowes brand or ReliaBilt. I compared it to the low end Pella and felt the construction quality and sealing was far better and the windows rep at Lowes pointed out things that steered me away from the Pella .
I’ve have replaced two dormer windows and have been very happy with these windows.
Then I order the big picture window with 2 double hung windows one on each side.
Well as it turned out the window they built and ordered was a Pella. Before I go further let me say I assumed it was going to be the same as the ones I’ve already replaced so I didn’t even think to ask. My bad!
For anyone wanting inexpensive windows please stay away from Pella. This window is the biggest piece of crap. Construction is of paper thin plastics and the nailing flange is so close to the window it was a chore getting nails in without hitting the paper thin plastic it is made of. On top of that the windows when locked will move up and down almost ¼ of an inch. Now the Lowes rep says they had a problem with the latches which resulted in the sloppy seal on the double hung windows, but the Pella rep says this is normal and they should have some play.
Now I know why many of the homes that I work on with new windows are not made by Pella.