View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #83
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Thats a great looking boat! I love the lines. So that's a semi-displacement? Will that sedan bridge profile make higher wind days more difficult to handle? Yes, the Nordic Tug, Nordhavn, etc are more for full time liveaboard where as the lobster style, Back Cove, Sabre are beautiful boats but would be more for a few days at a time instead of full time but I love the lines to that style.
Thanks, we like the lines too, but it's not for everybody. I overheard someone talking about it being "too "oceany"" once, while it was being compared to a more sleek design (that looked like giant basketball shoe to me) we were docked next too. Made me smile... The boat is remarkably easy to handle at low speeds around the docks, even when there's a lot of wind. It has 26x26 props and 2:1 transmissions, so even at 650 RPM idle, it responds instantly when I put it in gear and those big props start turning at 325 RPM. It does not have thrusters and IMO does not need them. My slip neighbors have a 2003 Carver 410 Sport Sedan that I have operated quite a bit and it's really a handful around the docks when there's any wind, despite having bow and stern thrusters. I'm not sure what Tollycraft did to make it so easy to handle, but I appreciate it.

For a 44 foot boat, it really is not all that tall. If I take the radar, mast light, and antennas down, we can fit under a 14' 9" bridge, which was really handy on the Erie Canal where 15' bridges are common on the west half. Yes it was tight and worrisome every time...

I think it's classified as a planing hull, more like a Back Cove than not, in that regard. It gets on plane cleanly (and with surprising quickness) and effortlessly cruises at 20 knots (23 MPH), which is way above semi-displacement speed for a 44 foot boat. That said, I only run it like that for a little while on every outing just to get some heat in the engines, per the recommendation in the CAT owner's manual. 90+% of the time I run at 8.5 to 10 knots (10 to 12 MPH) and get 3 to 4 times the MPG that I get on-plane. I want the engines to last a long time and 4 figure fill ups get old...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote