View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 08:07 AM   #71
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Dave R, thanks for your observations, knowing how much you have traveled round and are intending to travel around, I think you are the expert on what is allowed where and when....

I personally lived in Vermont, on the Champlain Islands for almost 10 years. Many of my colleagues owned boats on the lake, and used to spend the night at various locations, including the Burton Islands.... I was to foolish to not realize what I should have been taking more advantage of. However I rent an apartment on the lake that had direct access to the water.... So I am not to amiss in my regret....

New Hampshire has protected itself with all these laws and regulations. And now I feel most of the towns and state are to afraid of the outcome to start reversing things. While none of the towns on Winnipesauakee are as big as Burlington, it is a great example of how a town can turn its water front into a terrific source of income. They have transient docking and moorings. When I lived up there the "harbor Master" fell under the parks and Rec dept. And it was just part of the Directors responsibility. Now grant you Lake Champlain with connections to other water ways is a bit different. However I think many lessons could be learned.....

I met many good people down on the waterfront in Burlington. Many of whom where statying on their boats, and the transient boat slips.... Weather they boated in or trailered in, most of them wanted to spend as little time in the transient slip as possible. Even if the planned to stay in Burlington for multiple days, they would be out on the lake exploring a bulk of the day, returning to use there transient slip only in the evening, this allowing the dock master to put boats in that spot temporariliy all day long.....

People need to stop being scared of what they don't understand.... If you have only and only ever boat on Winnipesaukee, you don't know what you are missing. You also have no idea of how all the issue the New Hampshire and Winnpesaukee residents find them selves afraid of happening, really aren't issues......

I have spent a few nights and several 1/2 days tied up at Burlington City Marina. Had a great time. The proximity to the bus station makes it a great stop for someone traveling by boat. It is a festive place until about 10 PM and then it is astoundingly quiet for a downtown area. I plan to spend a Summer on Champlain (all over the place, mostly at anchor) in the next 5 years and look forward to returning to all the great ports.

Speaking of Burlington area and a connection to Winnipesaukee, If you ever want to see what the Mount Washington was like in the 1923, go to the Shelburne Museum and take a tour of the Ticonderoga. It's a sister ship to the Mount Washington (formerly called the Chateauguay) that's been restored to the way it was in 1923. The family resemblance is obvious. Take note of the walking beam steam engine and paddle wheels, the Mount used to have those, so cool...
Attached Images

Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post: