View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
paintitredinHC

Default Winnipesaukee vs. Sebago

Generally I think Sebago is far less developed and still has quite a few original camps/cottages which can certainly be viewed as an advantage depending on your perspective. There is also far less congestion compared to Winnipesaukee - particularly on weekends at the southern side of the lake. Sebago is much more open than Winnipesaukee. While this offers largely uninterrupted site lines, it loses some of the character provided by the complex shoreline and numerous islands that Winnipesaukee offers. Given the fact that Sebago is so open, it can get very rough and there is little respite from the wind, while Winnipesaukee offers several coves/bays to take cover and explore. Being more developed, I think Winnipesaukee is much more destination based. Several ports of call/towns with numerous restaurants and shops create great day trips on Winnipesaukee. The options are far more limited on Sebago. There are certainly quiet spots on Winnipesaukee, particularly at the northern end of the lake - even on the weekends. Winnipesaukee can be much more of a challenge to navigate with lots of tricky channels and rocky shoals - keep your chart handy. I also noticed that a lot of people on Sebago keep their boats moored rather than at the dock. I suspect that is due to the combination of rougher water along with a very gradual drop in depth that limits docking.

I'm probably biased, but I'd pick Winnipesaukee over Sebago every time.
paintitredinHC is offline   Reply With Quote