View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
I would suggest you don't acknowledge the dog, don't make eye-contact, and don't speak to him. That can be easier said than done, especially with something as big as a Rottie, but dogs know rejection when they see it. If you engage the dog, expect to be treated as his/her 'alpha' and to be followed.

If this is a common occurrence I would contact the town's animal control officer to let them know of your encounter and let them handle the situation with the dog's owner. The dog is just being a dog - it's the owner's responsibility to keep their pet confined according to the laws.
One of the best statements for advice yet. Don't make eye contact. Calling the Moultonborough Police is probably the second best advice that has been given. Our yellow lab Sam escaped a few years back and someone must have called the MPD and after many hours of searching, we called the MPD, and sure enough they had him. He was in the pen at the far part of the parking lot looking so dejected and alone, but safe. The MPD officer on duty was so kind and understanding about how we were concerned about Sam and he told us the story of how they just opened the door and (stupid O, thats that's what we call him when he is being a typical lab) just hopped in the back of the patrol car and was taken to jail.

The MPD understand about lost dogs and I would give them a 10 as far as handling lost dogs!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote