View Single Post
Old 03-31-2016, 12:36 PM   #18
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Brk...

How do you figure? If it wasn't for the Bike Week $$$ the Weirs wouldn't exist. Its a very short season to make a years worth of $$$. The Weirs will never be a "year round" type destination... Nowhere on the lake is "year round" with exception of Gunstock. Meredith (the standard for most people) hosts 2 events in the winter, Pond Hockey & the Ice fishing derby. Both are extremely weather dependent, and both had low numbers this year because of it.

The demographics have changed. We have an older, less kid driven demographic. Stop trying to attract a crowd that isn't interested anymore, and try to attract a crowd that is!

There needs to be a change in attitude from the City of Laconia... stop treating the Weirs like a redheaded stepkid! Make the Weirs a jewel! Pave Lakeside Avenue... get rid of the parking meters. Encourage small business, Look into running a shuttle that goes in a loop from Funspot/Looney Bin/Spoke back to the Weirs train station. Embrace Bike Week! Loosen up the rules a little!

Property & business owners need to refresh their attitudes... and their properties!

Woodsy
Not auguring, and agree with your point, but from the other side of the coin I think you also answered your own question to BRK - Weirs wouldn't exist in its current state if bike week was no longer there. I love to have bike week, but at the same time it does perpetuate the ease of the property owners and business owners in the Weirs to "cash in" so to speak and not do anything else the rest of the year because their nut is covered at the every least.

No bike week means the business owners and property owners need to find other ways of income (supply and demand economics) or fail.
that could lead for sure to vacant lots and building but for how long in this market? Not very from my view, at such highly desirable location for business and development. The taxes alone on the property with no income from bike week vendors is enough to either have those property owners leave, or sell to those that want to develop and then the town can do their part with a development plan and incentives for existing owners and new alike.

At the same time they can keep bike week and also require property owners through ordinances and zoning to conduct business throughout the year other than renting out vendor space for a week and a half. I'm not one for government regulation but when it comes to the survival of a community and its residents and form of #1 income which is tourism, the town should step in.