Thread: Timing Belt
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #22
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
There were two engines available for the 2000-2004 Xterra.

The 2.4-liter 4-cylinder DOHC engine used a timing chain.

The 3.3-liter V6 SOHC engine (and the supercharged version in the SE) used a timing belt.

The timing belt kit for the V6 cost @ $200.00. Amazon sells them for $206.92

A garage can pick up a kit for somewhat less then $200. So if you paid $800 to have it done, then @$600 was in labor charges and some other things like coolant and cleaning fluids.

So all in all you got a good deal.

What did the Nissan dealership quote you as a price to do the job?
Sorry I screwed up Rusty. The oil pan parts & labor was $800. The Timing belt and new water pump were $600 or $599.50.
I also just had the rusted out oil pan replaced along with a new exhaust and that came to $1300.00, $800 being the oil pan parts & labor.
When I went to pick it up the started died. All in all almost $2200 in work this summer and I just put new tires on last week at $900.
Still cheaper then a new car payment and far less to register and insure.
I had every intention of selling the Xterra and buying a new Tacoma but now I'm sitting on the Xterra for a few more years. I figure if I get 3 years then it cost me $1000 a year, I can take that.
In talking with the mechanic he highly recommended replacing the water pump at the same time as the timing belt. He said that if the water pump does go then the price to replace is the same as the timing belt because the water pump is timing belt driven. That makes perfect sense to me with 135K on the parts. FYI all the parts except for the starter were OEM from the dealer.