View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #93
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Have you ever been to a bike week or just read about them? Bike week brings in tons of money to the state of New Hampshire.
This ain't my first rodeo. I lived in Orlando for 18 months. Hint: What is an hour away? Key West, been there, done that. Big difference from crowds of guys riding bikes too and from an event versus having cruise passengers coming in off the ships everyday.

This is the issue I have in that the H-D crowd (Laconia is much more about H-D bikes than it is about "motorcycles" in general) seems to think that since they are spending money that it entitles them to do whatever they want. Guess what guys, it doesn't work that way.

No doubt Bike Week brings in money but I think the event being dragged out over two weekends means vendors are working longer to make the same dollar.

Bike Week is a drag on the area as it creates issues including many reckless drivers, a LOT of DUI, traffic issues, noise, etc. You asked where do I get this stuff? See post #8. Those aren't my numbers. The Weirs area is designed around the beer tents. In fact, the topic we are discussing now is someone proposing making every square inch of the Weir a drinking zone! Hellllooo. That's a recipe for trouble.

What some of you are asking is for the police to turn a blind eye, plain and simple. Have Hampton Beach allow open container? MUUWAHAHAHA. Do you know how many kids down there already create problems as it is?

Bike Week in Laconia is suffering from the economy. A lot of the money for people to buy toys is long gone. The 90s and up to 2006 are behind us. You think Bike Week will be around forever? I don't. Can't say when the party will end but I think Laconia will eventually come to terms with the fact that it's not all easy money. Places like Daytona and Panama City Beach have looked to re-brand themselves.

With effort NH and the Laconia area can re-brand itself.

You want an example of good event. Take Timberman Triathlon Festival for example. Rooms rented, minimal traffic disruptions, food bought, restaurants patronized, etc. No DUIs to just be considered as "the price of bringing in money". Go look up what the average Ironman athelete income is

I could care less if you want to ride from place to place talking about the same motorcycles over, and over, and over, again. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Letting business soley decide what should and should not be regulated has gotten this country where it is today. Businesses will sell their daughters to make a buck Punchline: I NEVER want businesses to dictate what a Town does that I live in.

If people in Laconia want Bike Week and the ills that come with it, so be it. However it appears to me that the crowds have decided that Weirs is not the place to be and going elsewhere. Police presence is an excuse that doesn't hold water.