View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #26
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
BI,

I am not upset about your post in general but to throw a derived number out there like 100 mph seems a bit excessive. I am by no means defending the offender, but you are adding fuel to the fire here. The number of 100 mph boats on the lake are slim....80 mph I would believe.... and would not have a problem with... but exaggerating to 100 mph is over the top....

Now as for someone else post about the speed of Radio... yep, you may be able to out run them but you will never out run the Radio waves... I have been talking to Marine Patrol officers casually, and seen stupid moves...and because they happen in the distance and going the opposite way, seen officers Radio ahead.... to get them stopped. It works quite well...

Knowing where a boat is from or getting its bow numbers is a big help too... the MPs, are not above making house calls for real idiots.
First off, I placed a question mark after my 100 MPH reference.

Secondly you say the number of boats on the lake that can go 100 mph are "slim". I agree. However I spend my summers in a high traffic area and have been here almost 30 years. During that time I have never seen a boat go ANYWHERE NEAR THIS FAST. So it seems this boat is one of that "slim" number. I checked online and found references to Cigarette boats that go 90, 100, 115 and 120 MPH, or at least that is the claim.

Thirdly my post was intended to be more humorous than factual. I was playing on the complete absurdity of a boat going that fast through a NWZ. But it is hard sometimes to tell if the person posting is serious, angry, trying to be funny etc. I'm sorry if you misunderstood.

pm203 suggested that there is nothing funny about what happened. All I can tell you is that everyone at our place was laughing out loud and so where my neighbors on both sides. I received a call from a Bear Island neighbor and she was also laughing. A huge, beautiful, fire engine red, incredibly loud boat going by at "ludicrous speed" struck us all funny. What can I say.