View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #62
Belmont Resident

Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
There is a different stamp on cans from Maine. Trust me, you can just look at the can and tell. I tend to doubt any large quantity of cans from BR are being cashed in as the attendants can easily pick them out as not from Maine.

Buy a can or bottle in Maine and NH and you'll see the Maine stuff has a slightly different stamp even though the NH cans have a ME deposit mark. Youll also see NH Poland spring bottles with red outline around the UPC area that makes it plain as day it's from NH.

They may miss a couple stray ones tossed in but if you go with bag fulls of NH cans they'll turn you away. We buy our cans in NH whenever we can as the hassle of returning them for the five cent deposit is a pita and most towns font have easy access to recycling. Trust me you don't want the 5 cent tax, err, deposit added. We go through a lot of water bottles and it adds up quickly.
The girls in work all drink bottled water and rather then throw them out my wife brings home trash bags of bottles as the fill up.
We buy Vitamin water; Mike’s lemonade, Sam Addams etc., here in NH and all are returned to the refund station when we go up.
We don’t do it by the thousands but generally 20-30 dollars worth at a time. There is some Maine bought beers as well. The attendant does know we bring them up from NH and has no problem with taking them because there is no law against it. It is frowned on but given the little these people make off taking in the bottles and the fact they are mixed in with thousands of Maine bottles and cans I doubt he really cares.
As far as I’m concerned if it has a stamp on it that says ME then I’m doing nothing illegal.
Another reason why I believe it should be federal and incorporated into all states, most states that have a refund also have a lot less bottles and cans along their roadways.