Thread: Safe ice?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 07:04 PM   #15
codeman671

Overall we had a great time, but my tail bone may tell you otherwise. There was hardly anyone out which surprises me as the conditions were quite good. The faster we went the smoother the ride, although with the blowing snow today it makes it hard to see obstacles and react with enough time to tail spin to stop or turn.

We left from Glendale, headed to Mark for a bit and then went around the back side by Timber, across the witches and back to Glendale to drop of a few passengers. We then headed down toward Rattlesnake to visit a friend (who was not there) so we headed into Minge Cove to see if his car was there. I was "caught in the act" on the way out. We then went around the Broads side of Rattlesnake, and back to Mark. The last leg of our trip was over by Eagle, under the GI bridge and back to Glendale.

We did not find anything mushy, everything was crusty, hard and fast. Even around the pressure ridges it seemed very solid. There was one pressure ridge still off Ellacoya out to Welch but all others had dissipated. The crust was quite thick and made a lot of noise on the hull when under way. In powder conditions the boat is very quiet inside (all things considered having a 6' fan and 350hp strapped to your butt) but today we could have used earplugs.

I do not see any issues for snowmobilers but a few warm days coud change things quickly.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote