Thread: Car Inspection
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #37
cairnpath

Disclaimer- I own a motorcycle repair shop in the lakes region, I am a state inspection station.

I can tell you state inspections are a 50/50 mix of catching safety issues and enforcing state vehicle codes, some of which have nothing to do with safety.

I do not do autos so some of what I know may be false so do your own homework it is all on line for anyone to read the RSA's.

If you fail a inspection for emissions or other the shop is SUPPOSED to report you to the state. If the repairs are not completed within so many days the state is supposed to come and take your license plates......really.
I do not know of any shop that has done this, but they are all supposed to. crazy .

Buying a scanner is a good idea because they are cheap and though they will not fix your car some times they can fix a light that is on. A loose gas cap can cause the emissions light to go on after it is on you need to drive so many miles for it to shut off a scanner would allow you to turn it off and then see if it comes back.

A mechanic is usually getting no benefit by failing you, though they might fire them if they pass unsafe cars so keep that in mind. A shop makes little money on inspections if they find nothing wrong. being an inspection station is almost a franchise of the state. Car shops have to pay a monthly lease for that computer system the state forces them to use. Nothing to do with safety.

I was at a state run inspection school not to long ago where the state inspection officers did not even know the state inspection laws they were attempting to teach us. If it is as bad on the auto side the shops may have good reason to not know the laws. I have had questionable judgement calls where I needed to call the state to get clarification it is not a bad thing to do.

I also know of shops that have been set up by the state with a sting operation because they are always on the lookout for shops that will let things slide. This can amount to a $3000.00 fine for both the shop and the mechanic all for a inspection charging what $45 ? when in doubt many will fail just to cover their butts.

Not good on either side. There are vehicles I see that are a danger to the owner and others and that's what inspections should be about. Now it is about being green and making money.
cairnpath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cairnpath For This Useful Post: