View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post
I read a post on another Winnipesaukee forum where the writer was describing how he was towing a skier this past weekend and another boat coming from his right did not give way to him and he even went so far as to chase the offending boater down and yelled at him for not understanding the ROW rules.

Left me scratching my head. I have never thought a boat pulling (not towing!) a skier or tuber suddenly gets the ROW no matter what. I think there is confusion about when a boat that is TOWING something — like another boat or a barge, etc. such that ITS NAVIGATION ABILITY is limited — where that boat does have the ROW. Realistically, those boats are probably not going fast either.

A boat with a skier behind it going 30+ mph does not have any limitations on it’s ability to navigate and hence is subject to all the usual ROW rule. A boat crossing from the Right (starboard) side is the stand on boat and the ski boat has the obligation to give way. Moreover, I would argue that the ski boat has an even higher obligation to maintain a strong watch and to make conservative decisions to avoid dangerous crossing situations which could also put the skier at risk.

And of course common sense says to drive your boat in a way to minimize the risk of collision regardless of who is right.

I looked in the NH boating safety handbook and did not see this specific topic addressed.

Educated me!
You're absolutely right on all counts. The vessel approaching from the starboard has the ROW AND the vessel towing someone should be choosing its area carefully to avoid traffic—sadly, all to often people don't care about either.

Ultimately, like in The Graveyard discussion and so many others, I find myself just pausing and letting things go—a tactic that has served me well on MA highways for two decades—and educating whenever possible.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post: