Thread: Winni derby
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #2
MikeF-NH

While the language used indicate that your desire to cancel the derby transcends any risk of this virus....the virus does give a compelling and legit excuse to move that agenda forward. Rather than dig up the old argument of whether or not to have a derby for which neither side of the argument will change their minds...lets focus on the issue at hand...the virus.

Scouts of America who run the event have already suspended all scouting activities such as local weekly meetings, district round tables and camping event...they haven't moved on the derby yet. There is already a decent number of participants who have paid and returning money is something they would want to avoid. Sponsors have also probably been acquired and committed and many attendees have reserved rentals and sunk dollars into the local economy in preparation.

Then of course there are local businesses (the original draw for local support of this event). Those businesses are mostly small businesses who are now and will continue to struggle. Removing this and other events like bike week will pull yet further funds out of the lakes region.

So the risk. If its risky to fish...its risky to fish. Should NH Fish and Game cancel fishing season? So this now boils down to the end of day awards and the kick off BBQ events. They could work around those by removing the need to be in attendance to receive your prize. Otherwise if they insist on mandatory attendance to these then yes...the risk of close personal contact with hundreds of sportsmen suggests the event should and probably will be cancelled. Scouting is very risk adverse. I imagine they are postponing a tough decision in hopes that the hysteria dies out or the curve significantly flattens (not a bad choice). I don't think they want to face a choice of "cancel gatherings or cancel the event" but it may come to that.

Here's my plan if it runs. If I'm top 3 I would show at the awards. I will not go to the awards for a hat or tee-shirt or even a rod/reel combo. I bet many feel the same way. That would mean probably less than 50 people attend awards and that greatly reduces risk. They could also consolidate prizes for less but more expensive prizes to reduce gathering attendance. Holding these awards ceremonies outside would also reduce risk.

While I clearly support the event, I don't think it should be run without severe risk mitigation. I would hate to see the politics of this virus be used to push the agenda of a group of anti-derby supporters.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post: