View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #60
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
From what I've seen that hasn't been the case. Many circuit board issues. None of the issues have been related to installation. Many more problems than a regular gas boiler. My best friend and my brother inlaw both had them installed in their homes and both have had problems and one had to be replaced after only 5 years. I'm not sure what brand they have, I believe they were Navien, but both are regretting their decisions to install them. Unlike oil fired boilers, regular gas fired boilers almost never need servicing. I built a new house about 10 years ago, which my son now owns. I installed a regular gas boiler with external hot water storage tank. That unit has not been touched since installation while my friends have all had multiple issues with their suitcase style units that are newer.
I see the attraction of not having a dedicated space for a boiler and hot water tank where this unit does both and just hangs on the wall out of the way. And builders love them because they don't need expensive chimneys cutting down the costs of a new house. But I wouldn't install one in my house unless I had limited space issues.
OK, I see you are referring to oil burners. I am referring to gas. No issue there.

As far as builders and developers are concerned, you are absolutely right about cutting cost. You will see inefficient HVAC on all new construction unless the homeowner request otherwise. I see a lot of homes built along an existing natural gas pipeline, not being hooked up. Builders do not want to go through the hassle and inspection of gas lines, but rather put in oil. Again unless the home owner asks.

A lot of homeowners believe the latest RBC includes energy efficiency. Unfortunately it does not. Its up to the homeowners to work with the builders if they want 5 star efficiency.

I talk to one well known builder/developer who claims to be the 'Premier Builder in the Lakes Region' about why the homes he build are not efficient.
'Why pay the additional expense, if the new owner is going to sell the home eventually. After all you can't take it with you and oil is cheap!'