View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
I've heard stories of individuals that have stayed at their Winnipesaukee island home year round and I'm kind of fascinated with the idea. Has anyone done that in recent memory? If not, when was the last time this was done? Or are they just stories? I've wondered how that would work...especially during the couple of months when there'd likely be no way off the island. Such as late December through mid January, when the ice is sort of in and April, when it's sort of out. Not to mention those warmer years (like last year) when the ice is perpetually iffy. I guess you'd just have to stock up knowing there would be those times when you simply couldn't leave. I imagine there'd be many other hardships not the least of which would be lack of assessable emergency services.

Have any of you islanders ever contemplated doing this - or known anyone that has?
I know somebody that does this.

Really it's not that big of a deal PROVIDED that you are well prepared and the house is setup for winter occupancy.

During the inbetween times access is still possible with the aformentioned air boat or hovercraft. In fact there are a couple of air boats that sit in slips at sheps. Island Services Co also works year round and they have the logistics to get out at any time as well.

The only huge potential hassle is if there is a loss of power as the power company will not send guys out across the ice unless it is REALLY good and safe. Most years I have made my first trip out over the ice I arrive to find power is out. It's not that big a deal to run generator power for a weekend stay - but for a prolonged period of time that would be a pain!

Once the ice is in and safe access is very easy, arguably easier.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote