View Single Post
Old 08-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #18
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I have limited experience with toons, but on really rough days or running into sharp wakes, yes, the cut through instead of going over. That means a flooded deck, especially if you have a heavy load. If your deep vee is pomnding and slappung, you're trying to go too fast, or you aren't properly trimmed. And yes, to me, the bow seats in a bow rider are always bouncing. I stick to closed bow/cuddy styles. If you're getting into a 26'-27' traditional boat, I like the amenities: Vee berths, microwave, grill, stand up head, ice maker, generator, better weather protection, etc. If you don't use the boat in spring and fll when you don't care about heat and A/C, and you only venture out on beautiful days, you don't need all those comforts. In a small pocket cruiser, you can leave a lot of stuff onboard and you don't have to pack and transport so much every time you plan a trip.
In sum, one style boat isn't better than the other, they have different uses where each might excel. If I were a sandbar guy, I'd definitely go for the double deck 'toon with a water slide.
Yes, well said… there is no one perfect boat. You need to find the one best suited to your boating style.

Regarding bouncing bows, virtually every V hulled boat would benefit from trim tabs. They allow you to level unbalanced loads (no more having Joe move to the other side of boat). More importantly, they allow the operator to push the bow down, stopping bounce and using the sharpest angle to push through slop. We can run the broads in 3-4’s at 30 plus in relative comfort.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post: