View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 07:35 AM   #44
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

People have mentioned a change in schools after this, but, as a teacher, I just don't see it. The biggest shift we may see is the possibility of remote learning to replace snow days, but even that I'm not convinced will happen.

There are many, many problems with online learning, which is why most institutions use it only as supplementary education if at all (college is, of course, where most of it happens).

Once the "daycare" and "homeschool" aspect is entered into the equation, it's an immediate no-go. The percent of parents that could be available/at home for or capable of supporting that type of education is very low.

Also, we know that the social aspect is essential. My students are really struggling with this.

Finally, most parents I know and connect with on town forums are going crazy trying to balance work and school. Because my wife and and I are teachers, we've been able to cut work to the essentials and provide "authentic" (pedagogical code word!) opportunities for learning: for example, my son is learning geometry and measurements, so guess who's laying out the fort we're building?!

Cheers, all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post: