View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #20
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Is your place insulated at all?
What do you use for a heat source?
I have no idea why, but this fascinates me—maybe the man vs. nature thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
When I renovated my place I insulated it. The only thing that is not insulated is the floor. The real concern for me was the ceiling as I vaulted them and after much discussion with the building inspector I opted to modify the soffits which are now vented and installed a ridge vent. There is about a 3" gap between the roof sheathing and the top of the insulation in the ceilings to allow air flow. I'll get to the floor later once I see a way to do it that I like. Last thing I want is to attract mice which is always a concern. Since it was a complete redo down to the studs the exterior was was sheathed with zip board and I have new double pane windows. So the building is tight.

On any given weekend I bring a couple gallons of water for drinking, melt snow for cooking and have a small camping chem potty.

All in all it's not to bad at all. In fact during my years of renovation winter time was used to haul out big bulky and heavy stuff over the ice. Also my last weekend of winter occupancy I make sure all my propane tanks are topped off for the summer. Wrestling 100 pound propane tanks in the boat is a pain!

Far as heat goes I use a blue flame vent less heater 20K BTU heating about 600SQFT for now, eventually I'll install either a vented gas or pellet stove. How well does it work? I do need to keep the ceiling fans running to mix the air and do crack a couple of windows for cross ventilation. Also have 2 CO detectors. Here is the coldest reading I took last winter.
Attached Images

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote