View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #18
ApS

Question BP—NWZ—Never?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
On this BP issue, you've been there how much??? You're a NIMBY, plain and simple. If people saw your comments elsewhere, they'd be absolutely horrified.
As stated, I've been there once; however, most transiting through the Barber's Pole don't stay for a couple of hours—as I did.

1) Every noise made by a boat is echoed off the shorelines.

2) Even a relatively-quiet 32' Formula proceeding at a sorta-normal pace disturbed the tranquility and ambience of the entire area. I'd taken refuge in a shallow area near shore, but risked striking the bottom from his wake.

3) A nearby Summer Camp complained at the NWZ hearing—but while I was there—one of the Camp's boats was giving a BP-island-tour to his many passengers.

4) Two Cow Island neighbors were digging-out their boat docks—by hand!

5) For families who've lived there since the mid-1800s, this is hardly a case of NIMBY.

The Florida County where the race track is located, is home to thousands of war veterans—most of whom—moved-in with hearing aids!

I looked at a new development—directly across from the race track—but it only took a weekend-visit to realize that track noise wasn't going to be my "thing".

I'd certainly have to be further-away than a ˝-mile!

Quote:
I get it. I wouldn't care to live 8 miles away from a track, and still hear the noises. But if I ever moved there, I should have known about it first. BTW, your version of Florida is my he!!.
I'm very content with my choice of residence and location there. Eight miles is not just adequate, but desireable for my racing-instructor avocation.

My only present concern is a new neighbor—with a 49-foot lot on our Florida lake—who has asked me for a zoning variance regarding a boat house for his two Jet-Skis and a skiboat.

Quote:
Winni has had louder boats, not necessarily fast boats, for well over fifty years.
But hundreds?

Mostly "visitors"?

Who "Can't see Kayaks?"?