View Single Post
Old 04-14-2021, 03:29 PM   #30
sum-r breeze

Default Well not exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I don't believe that marina fuel is "treated" or anything different than the gas you can get at a gas station.

Although some marinas tell you that they are selling the mid-grade gas instead of just regular gas, in many cases I doubt that too. I just think it is an excuse to charge more for regular gas. Pardon me for being a skeptic.

As with cars, buying any more octane than is required by the engine manufacturer is a waste of money.

People who always buy high octane gas for their car that calls for regular gas are only accomplishing two things:Wasting money and fooling themselves. It accomplishes nothing.

I have had boats that hold anywhere from 40 to 240 gallons of gas. Any time that they have been moved on a trailer, and pass a gas station, I fill them with gas and it is always just regular. There is no need to spend another nickel and they run fine.

The only time I ever treat gas is to put Sta-Bil in the last tank full prior to winter. I could be wrong, but this has worked for me for the last 50 years so I think I will stick with it!
The automakers are always looking for an angle to make their cars easier to sell. One way is to advertise that you can run said vehicle on regular unleaded saving you lots of money at the pump. Way back in the 90s when I was in technical training at General Motors in Dedham....My instructor Roy Schonfeld did an entire day lesson on potential timing advance. In a nutshell the manufacturers build the engines with more timing advance than they will ever need. Then they run the advance all the way up until the Knock Sensor hears detonation and then they start to back out the timing until the knock goes away. Garbage gas?--very little timing advance. Higher octane? --- much more timing advance. More advance, more power. That is why what you are saying is true, they will run on anything.. just not at peak power. Not an opinion statement, I am ASE Master Tech certified and ASE L1 Advanced Engine Performance Certified as well. Biggd can vouch for my cred on this. So...Run what you like if you are satisfied with the engine's performance with said fuel. I'm just a little more particular about the food I give my engine.

The Breeze