View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #61
ApS

Question WMDs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Some people like to keep their boats on lifts. Doesn't explain much...
Winter Harbor has about six new boat lifts this summer.

I failed to note that there is a fiberglass staircase next to the boat on the lift. Let's see...raise the boat—then climb up stairs to get into it.

Before this harbor got chop-crazy with visiting funsters, we'd step from the dock to the boat. What'd we do wrong?

Quote:
Not everyone enjoys small sailboats or 14' skiffs.
Funny, in spite of scarcely any wind, I took my sailboat out this morning anyway—hoping for the best. Who should I meet after only a few hundred feet of travel, but another sailboat—just like mine?

The wake-setters weren't out yet. Do you know what happens when there's scarcely any wind, and you hit an oversized-boat wake? Right, the sailboat goes backwards. While I haven't been particularly diligent in sighting canoes—a rare sighting in these parts lately—one did hail me last weekend. He asked if he could rent my sailboat.

I later noticed a "Malibu" passing by me, at about 75' distance. A boat towing a water-skier displayed an orange flag. When they packed up for the day, they kept the orange flag raised. Another water-skier and I could have shaken hands, the skipper had passed so close! And that Malibu? It had the model name of "Wakester" on the side. It also passed very close (twice). As he left, I noticed his weight-tank was emptying from four ports—bow and stern. Docked in Miami, it would have appeared like a Caribbean Cruise boat.

Here's a thought: take a surfboard to the ocean.

My neighbor has owned a 14' "skiff" for maybe 55 years. Someday, I'll ask to tape (or chain) my video camera to the bow, and show just how violent the wakes are this season.

As for scofflaws, this harbor's most dangerous scofflaw cruised in from four miles away, and passed by at about half-throttle. Maybe it was the pieces of dimensional lumber floating in the middle of the harbor, but the two wake-setters nearby may have accidentally produced a positive outcome.

Quote:
That boat is too large to fit into that covered slip.
I'd met the previous owner as his 1960's cottage came on the market. He and I lived about one mile apart, but over 1500 miles away!

That property did eventually change ownership.

Now, that new boat being too large for the covered slip (and requiring a lift) would make my point.

Protected waters need to be protected from run-away wake destructiveness.