View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 02:22 AM   #24
ApS

Arrow Seawalls...Not The Answer...

Wakesetters, Jet-Skis, and waterskiers have found that navigation controls to delineate only one-way travel works to keep wakes under control on Midwestern lakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
This would seem to ignore the laws of physics. Can you explain or provide data? I have searched and found nothing.
Search some more.

From earlier observations here:
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=10576

Most of the data deals with theory and the mathematics to support it: little can be done from real-life scenarios. A lake's wave and wake patterns are too "chaotic" for such studies.

A single wake won't be returned larger from a seawall; however, multiple wakes, combined with the right wind conditions have produced some notable rogue waves. On LOTO, reports have testimony of 10 foot waves. (As does the book, "Three Centuries on Lake Winnipesaukee"). I have seen brief peaks of similar-sized wakes appearing between large speeding cruisers. You may recall my post from years ago, of having been ejected from my boat in that very circumstance.

Take a catamaran sailboat and position yourself off a Lake Winnipesaukee seawall. You'll find yourself caught up in that "standing wave" condition--which is difficult for a sailboat to break out of.

Winnipesaukee has an irregular shoreline: now consider the effect of the even more irregular shoreline at The Lake of The Ozarks (LOTO).

While the "data" is primarily anecdotal, lake veterans of 50 years have prepared YouTube videos showing how LOTO's natural cliffs and seawalls have conspired to make the lake waters even rougher. One video shows a floating gas dock--with five pumps--being tossed around!

BTW: That LOTO cruiser fatality was traced to a cruiser already having an electrical bailer problem when it was swamped from behind.