Thread: Lake Markers
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #22
kchace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
It's shallowish and there's a rock south of it between it and Mink. Pass that one on the north side. The confusing one (for me) is the black topped spar just northeast of FL30 and it's companion balck topped spar. You need to pass between the two black topped spars to be safe.
I go that way all the time and it had the same effect on me until I memorized it.

For the longest time I had a mental block on remembering which sides to pass on which color buoy until I was able to remember "BEN" Black - East/North.

One thing finally dawned on me that made it a lot easier to understand how buoys are placed. That is, just because a bouy has a certain color top, doesn't mean you can safely pass on BOTH of two sides of it. For example, a black topped buoy means pass to the east or north, but it doesn't mean you can safely pass on BOTH the east and north sides - that all depends on what its marking and where that hazard is. Once I figured that out, it made it a lot easier to figure out what was right and wrong. A perfect example are the 3 black buoys lined up on the north side of Eagle Island. You'd better NOT pass to the north side of the first two!

One thing for sure is the lake will either keep you on your toes or it'll take your prop.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote