View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
CanisLupusArctos

Default Weather/Enviro Buoy on the lake?

Here's an idea that's been running around my head for the last few years, and I finally decided to Google it and see what came up.

Seems a bunch of people on Lake Sunapee have pooled resources to establish a weather & environmental monitoring buoy on their lake. It's part of a global initiative on lake monitoring as outlined in this article: http://www.calit2.net/newsroom/article.php?id=1257

Imagine a "Broads Buoy" capable of a vertical water temp profile, wave height readings, weather, etc... maybe even with four small webcams (since we now know it's possible, thanks to IG's successful MOUNTcam experiments.)

Last year Bizer and I exchanged a few emails about putting a daymark on Black Cat Shoals (he's a fan of daymarks for boater safety.) When I saw a picture of one, it had a weather station on it, and I was immediately interested. Could serve as a fixed weather buoy (similar to the lighthouse-based instrumentation that NOAA includes in their ocean buoy system) transmitting to shore, and have its data included with the rest of the data Black Cat Island Weather Station measures.

Anyway... that sort of stuff was just a crazy idea in my head until I found out it's already being done on a global initiative with a site already in NH.... so I thought I'd share.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote