View Single Post
Old 09-28-2019, 08:44 AM   #12
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I am surprised that anyone would operate an outboard or I/O boat without making trim adjustments on the drive. I use mine constantly.

When bringing the boat to cruising speed I always leave the drive down. Once I have an established speed I lift the drive so that the bow will rise. This accomplishes two things: Your speed and RPM will increase slightly with the same throttle setting and the ride will be much softer since the bow is not hitting every wave you cross. Generally, it will bring about the front third of the boat out of the water and your MPG will increase with less drag.

I only use the trim tabs to keep the right/left attitude of the boat level and the necessity for that depends greatly on the loading of the boat. The best setting for the trim tabs is all the way up to eliminate drag on the boat. The ability to do that depends greatly on the loading and the hull design.

I realize that everyone has their own way of doing things but this is what has always worked for me over the last 50 years and about 15 boats from 18 to 34 feet. (Two were jet boats and you can ignore using a lot of your experience with a jet boat)
Very similar to my experience and thoughts.

Well stated!

Thanks for the reality check.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote