View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Question ...painting your island?

As everybody knows, waterfronters who live on the mainland, with maybe a couple exceptions, simply do not do their own painting. About the only thing they lift up, is the telephone when they call a painter, and then again when they lift up their check book. Islanders however, are a different breed who actually like to do some painting...you know...maybe a deck, a dock, a fence, a shed...something like that.

Which is why I thought I would pass this along. Right now, Heath's Hdwre over in Centre Harbor, has about 100 gallons of Ben Moore alkyd oil paint for decks and siding in different shades of grey, brown, white, green, & red which have been discontinued. Reg $35......now $5/gal.....all setting outside on a wood skid....the real good stuff....Moorewood alkyd solid color and semi-transparent and siding paint....being discontinued because it is oil paint and has now been replaced with latex. In my opinion, the oil paint is better than latex for docks, decks, fences etc.

Now, when the heck will the weather get going into summer and be warmer and drier.....making it good painting weather? Just make sure you get Heath's to shake that paint for a good five minutes because it is oil paint, and it get very separated out, sitting on the shelf for a year or two or three.