View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #25
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneck1814 View Post
Closing is such a ritual. We have a 100+ year old cast iron sink that does not have an enamel on it, it's basically the same finish as a cast iron skillet. When we were closing last week and my mom was smearing the sink with Crisco like we do every year I asked, "Do you think we really have to coat the sink with Crisco for the winter? Our cast iron skillets go without it all winter and they are fine?" her response, "I do it because that's how my mother did it and you will do it because that's how I did it." And so, like we have done for the last century+, in the Spring we will spend an hour scraping Crisco off the sink, even though it seems completely unnecessary to me.
It can take many uses and careful heat/cool cycles with cooking oil to season an iron skillet so it is non-stick. Probably the same for the sink. Being porous, You could probably just put cooking spray on the sink and everybody would be happy, no need to spend cleaning time in the spring. We have "butcher block" hardwood counters/kitchen island that get a mineral oil rub down twice a year. No need for cutting boards pastry boards, etc and several people can stand around the island doing food prep. If it gets too many knife marks, we can belt sand it, and it's like new. Anyway, oiling the hardwood island is part of the ritual too, so it doesn't dry out too much over the winter when there is no heat. Like your sink, it may now be unnecessary, but my kids will have to make that decision.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote