View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 07:35 PM   #10
madrasahs

Question Not Legal, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing
Shutting the water flow off would cause extreme overheating of the exhaust system
The steel won't melt. It'll get red, but it won't melt.

Quote:
...and would melt any rubber connections or hoses.
If you have rubber connections, and shut it off long enough, it could. Spares are cheap.

Quote:
The device you refer to does not turn off the water to the muffler. It directs the exhaust through the lower unit (under water), or straight through the hull or transom, via a diverter plate on each exhaust pipe. Such devices are NOT LEGAL in New Hampshire waters.
NOT LEGAL? Really?

Take note of my previous title: Why worry about the law?

On Winnipesaukee, start with a boat named "A-- M---", and I'll get a few more boat names in the meantime. (That is, if you're even from within 1000 miles of Lake WInnipesaukee).

A lot of these "annoyed" responses come from other states, always on the lookout for lakes with naïve state laws -- and inadequate enforcement -- to put in their noisy boats.

Try to see the incentive in the original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggus
"I'm a Sebago Lake boater and we have heard from several people that the boat noise laws (in NH) have been thrown off the books. Any truth to this rumor?".
(Biggus didn't mention that there is a citizen's initiative underway to kick Big Noisy Boats out of the State of Maine).

With other states' lawmakers cracking down on such abuses on lakes and coves nationwide, this lake could sound like Lake Interstate.

Last edited by madrasahs; 08-26-2004 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Add "a boat named"