Thread: Dock Damage
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #3
ApS

Thumbs up Good Luck, Trying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Just went down to my waterfront today and notice that my crank up dock got pushed crooked by that micro burst last week. The dock is hinged to a 1000 lb block of cement and the wind moved it. Now I've got to figure out how to straighten it out before dropping it in the water. That's a first for me.
Maybe a chain to the trailer hitch of my pick up?
It's going to be difficult to duplicate the force of the wind that moved your dock. You were lucky that the block didn't fracture—which happened to my neighbor's new block! Unless you have a slope, you can try the truck's trailer hitch. Protect the concrete block from chain damage with 2x6s.

While I agree that a come-along is how I'd proceed, the $20 model isn't going to turn it. You'd need at least the $40 four-ton model, and even that may need some help.

Alternatively, if you have clear space to lower the dock, either walk-out or boat-out to secure three or four lines to it—to spread out the "pull". Here, you can use three or four of the $20 come-alongs. (And a strong tree). A strong wind from a helpful direction would be a plus.

From a confirmed "Home-Handyman", good luck with this venture!