View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #20
Belmont Resident

Default Depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I some-what understand the industry as my family owned and operated green houses for 27 years in Mass. Now we're all older and they have been closed for years and I'm sitting behind a desk Just saying with the figures thrown around seems like 100,000 is easy pickens in the landscaping business (I'm sure it's not.) I don't need to be explained the concept of bills I make less than six-figures and also pay house taxes, home/car insurance, car paymants, home maintenance, monthly utilities, etc... If any landscaper out there is billing at 125.00 an hour I do not feel bad about them at all.
If a contractor is billing out at $125hr and that price is for 3-4 laborers then that is about right. But if a landscaper is billing at $125hr for himself then I agree.
But if a homeowner is happy to pay someone that much for an hours worth of work I'd say sign me up as well. Hell I'd clean crap off a toilet with a toothbrush for $125hr. Without gloves!
Many contractors have had to reduce their pricing to get jobs. Many are competing against fly by night builders, painters, landscapers who are willing to work for $10hr.
I tell prospective customers you get what you pay for.
I have met homeowners who have elected to go with the cheapest estimate for a job they can get, then 2-3 years later when their house is again in need of work they complain they did not get what they paid for. Well actually they did get exactly what they paid for.
You cannot guarantee that a higher price means better quality workmanship, but you can almost guarantee that the extra low estimate means low quality workmanship.
I always sit down and go over cost and work expectations with my customers, so they know exactly what they are getting for their money and I’m always willing to support my materials usage with dated purchase receipts to back it up. My estimates also include a detailed breakdown of all work to be completed. If your not getting that from a contractor then you have no grounds to support a claim should something go wrong.
Example:I can write an estimate to paint your house that says materials cost and labor cost then go out and buy the cheapest paint I can find and slap it on and you will never know the differance.