View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #41
NoRegrets

Default Thank you Hazelnut..

This Saturday I witnessed everything you stated in your post. It used to take 3 weekends to see this blatant disregard to safety. I have no idea what elchase does to stay oblivious to facts but the "family" boating fun isn't going to be unmarred for long. It is a matter of time when some of these close calls are going to turn into unfortunate events. I came through he Weirs channel on Saturday and had a small boat with two children on the bow (not a bow rider nor did it have railings) behind us. After they got out of the channel the boat got up on plain and headed towards the Governor’s island bridge with the kids still on the bow!
My wife and I were in disbelief of what we were seeing but then got circled by another family pulling a tube trying to hit the big waves.

This was also the first time I have come through Paugus Bay, out into the lake, anchor for the day, and return back to Paugus Bay without seeing a Marine Patrol boat. Did they get Saturday off?

In the spirit of compromise: I think it is about time be real about facts and experiences. I have not been bothered by performance boats and respect the knowledge it takes to tune, trim, and manage the equipment so they may be better boaters than most. How to educate the family and old timers seems to be central to the issue of pro speed limit boaters feeling "unsafe". These un-reported or un-ticketed events span over several laws or lack of common sense so it is hard to select one issue to address. The speed limit on the other hand is something you can place on a banner so we are debating that as the single issue.

The process of mandatory licensing should have done better that what we have so should we turn our attention to what failed with that process and let the speed limit pass it time test as it was designed and sunset.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoRegrets For This Useful Post: