View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #90
LakeSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu View Post
What you and I or anyone else thinks is fast in a boat is irrelevant, we’re talking overall safety here. And my family and I are on the water every weekend in a ski boat, it’s been a complete zoo the past two weekends. We encountered numerous boneheads coming within fifty feet of us, but not speeding. Not one of these boneheads were pulled over, as a matter of fact there wasn’t any MP in site. And this is my point, get rid of the useless SL and get serious about real safety. God forbid, but what if two boats collide both doing 35mph and someone is killed, what will be said then. The state needs to increase MP resources by double or triple and enforce the real laws that will make the lake safer for everyone.

Malibu
I think malibu has hit on the ture issue here. As many have noted the current mayhem on the lake could be corrected with enforcement of existing laws. But everyone is dancing around that fact and spending time/energy on the speed limit debate.

As this year has shown the new speed limit law has done practically nothing to make the lake safer. Adding new or different laws that can't be enforced will accomplish nothing.

We need to spend out time and energy trying to fix the enforcement issue first. Then after we test that for a year or two we can look at the need for any new laws.

I think the enfocement issue has two major factors to start:

1) resources - more MP resources - especially on weekends - as malibu said, we should have one MP in each major bay on the weekend and a few just out patroling. This presence will make people think twice. Ever notice how everyone stops behaving badly on the highway when a cop is around. Those that don't end up on the side of the road having that discussion the LEO.

2) The current judical system (may be wrong word but anyway) is aparently broken. I have heard that if you get a ticket just contest it and no LEO will show up in court - you get off. I think this is the harder one to fix.
- maybe have a dedicated LEO for court appearances around MP violations or something. Or require the one contesting the ticket to pay a court cost regardless of the out come.

Soultions to the enforcement issue is waht we should be focused on - comming up with new laws/compromises is just putting bandaids on the symptoms of the real problem.

I know we are talking money here, which may be why the issue is avoided, but if we want the lake to be a safer place we will have to pay for it somehow.

my 2cents