View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #18
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Roadside assistance is included in every new vehicle warrenty in the country...when you buy a new vehicle you get it. Extend the warrenty a bit, and roadside is generally extended as well. So, yes, the service is purchased...whether it be directly, or indirect.
That really is not the spirit of my posts, though. It is a flat tire. Road service will not repair the tire...they will just come to the rescue. Due to a road hazard (nail, in this case) the customer is then responsable for the repair.
So, Scubadoo (sic) subbed out (AS IN PAID) someone, to travel 35 miles (each way) in a truck to change the tire. Assume they probably travelled in some type of service vehicle, it probably gets 14/16 MPG, maybe worse, but lets say 15MPG. 70 miles required 5 gallons at 3.15/3.17. Close to 20 bucks in gas, and the labor, probably 1.5, maybe 2, at whatever...$35, maybe $40 PER UNIT HOUR...the labor rates are pre negotiated, and drive time is paid for. It is not unreasonable to think..in fact it is most probably accurate..that Scubadoo is going to be billed $100 or slightly over...to change a flat.
If you don't think, that eventually that cost finds it's way back to the consumer...well, I don't know how you could not think that. My point is simply that there are no less than 50 shops, within 10 miles of Wolfboro that offer the service of coming out and removing the tire. Of course it is not Cate's fault...makes no difference to her. But it makes sense to you, Blue Thunder, that someone travelled 35 miles, to change a flat..not repair, just spin the lugs, and throw the donut on???? OK then, we'll agree to disagree.
If you were payng the bill,would you call someone 35 miles a away? THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A MINUTE.
You made your point..... and I made mine.... and it won't shock anyone that regularly reads your posts that we disagree.
It does make sense to me that for someone who paid for roadside assistance, in advance when they purchased their vehicle, would expect someone to show up and change their flat tire when they needed it, no matter where they are or how far away they were from the closest participating facility.
The cost doesn't "find its way back to the consumer", in this case, Cate. She paid for it and I'd be willing to bet she's glad she did.

BT