View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 06:32 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Welcome to the forum and to the lake! You think Winni is full of hazards try Squam!

Never leave the dock without a map! Even with GPS. Make sure you know exactly where you are on the lake in regards to the map. If in doubt, find the nearest light buoy and correspond the number to the number on the map.

Be familiar with Red Hill. Red Hill will generally be North on the lake. Great way to get your bearings.

Spend an evening reading the Winni chart and pay attention to the buoy's position relative to North on the lake and you will get a fair idea. Still rely on the chart if in doubt!

Piloted the lake since I was 12. I am familiar with all parts, yet I still carry the chart in case my brain freeze.

As for Big and Little Island, the chart shows that you should be navigating close to Little Island the markers will be between you and Big Island!

Have fun! And make sure you wave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpye View Post
New member here and wanted to share my ALMOST expensive mistake. We were traveling to the sand bar in Paugus Bay. I decided to go between Big and Little Island. Going slow because I knew there was an issue with boats running aground-according to a post by Bizer. I was also unfamiliar with the area. I picked out one black buoy but didn’t see the other one. About that time I see a red buoy off my starboard bow. I also realized I was BETWEEN the two black buoys. Suddenly my son who was on the bow yelled stop! I see a large rock just under the surface marked by several gouges. Fortunately I stopped in time and backed out the way I came in. I realized my mistake and will certainly not make that again. We have been boating on the lake for five years but only for one week each time. I still get nervous in an unfamiliar area. I just wish some of these rocks were marked better but it probably turn the lake into a lake of buoys.