View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
It would be easier to find anything that was done right! Hard to believe that many people could be that incompetent.

Everyone in our house gets these (or ones like them) as stocking stuffers on Christmas Day.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Great idea MM!

The main rule is staying calm, easier said than done when you're in freezing water or your friend/loved one is the victim. Panic is normal but it has to be overcome, minutes truly count here.
When we train we get into the big red gumby suits and one firefighter is the victim while the other firefighter would be the rescuer. Crews on shore assist with ropes and other equipment. In good conditions we get on a sled, belly down, and paddle atop the ice to the victim. The rescuer goes in the water and corrals the victim by putting a rope around them. Once he has the victim he uses hand signals to pull them both onto the ice via ropes. Once out of the ice both the victim and rescuer are dragged to the shore or safe ice. If there is slush or snow atop the ice the sled is much harder to use. I can tell you that it is extremely difficult if not impossible to get out of the water and back onto the ice. Instinct tells you to get out of the water as you would a pool by putting your palms on top of the ice and hoisting yourself out, but when you do this your legs rise, toes straight up, and you fall backward. Add exhaustion, numb limbs and panic and you're all done. If you jump in to get your friend he will probably take you down while flailing in panic, you're both done unless you have enough strength to lift the victim and then yourself out.
My advice would be to call 911 or alert people to get help asap. Stay away from the edge and lay flat on your belly. First verbally try and calm the victim down telling him help is coming. The goal is to get the victim to the edge until rescue arrives, attempting extrication only if you know nobody is coming. The trick to getting out is getting to the edge and rapidly kicking like you're swimming. This will raise you out of the water enough to use your shoulders. Usually the ice will break again causing more panic. Ice picks like MM mentioned would be priceless, as long as they are accessible when you fall in. If you do get someone out, they will probably be hypothermic. You have to treat hypothermic people very gently, they are at risk for cardiac arrhythmia until warmed. Once warmed get extremely drunk and thank your lucky stars.
One thing I noticed was the shoreline behind the victim seemed rather close. Had I been responding to that incident I'd probably look at getting them to shore before ice rescue.

Last edited by PaugusBayFireFighter; 12-19-2013 at 07:38 PM.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post: