Thread: Belknap College
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #38
Lakeflier

Default 1966 Belknap Alumna

I am a new member of the forum and very much enjoying this discussion. My husband and I have just purchased a cottage on Whortleberry Island, where we are permanent summer residents.

As a female I can tell you I did not enroll at Belknap to avoid the draft. I was attending UMass Amherst, but not liking it as it was large and impersonal. I had attended a small high school (Westwood, MA) and missed the personal engagement with teachers. I had a summer job as a counselor at Girl Scout Camp Treasure Island (1963?) when I heard an announcement on the radio about the new Belknap College. With its small size and impressive faculty, it sounded like the place for me, so I transferred, and it turned out to be a good decision. Studies were challenging, but classes interesting and teachers dedicated. I majored in Psychology, and got my BA in 1966. My high score on the Graduate Record Exam removed any concern that Belknap's curriculum was sub-standard. My husband also graduated the same year with a BS in Physics.

Many of the students, including the guy I eventually married, had transferred from the College of Advanced Science in Canaan, NH in order to follow Dr. Brigham and Dr. Frye when they formed the new Belknap College. The posted story in this forum of the behind-the-scenes financial and logistic hurdles jumped to bring the college to life was really interesting to me. Brought back a lot of memories and fuller appreciation of the dedication of those involved.

Greetings to all other Belknap Alums!
Lakeflier is offline   Reply With Quote