View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #68
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidenCove07 View Post
Coming onto this conversation late, but I consciously elect to go to places like Trustworhty (which is less than 2 miles from Lowes in Gilford) or Ace on the other side of the lake rather than HD or L because supporting smaller businesses is WAY more advantageous to us all that buying crap at box stores.

You've read on this thread about inferior garden products, inferior kitchen and carpet projects and re-branded tools, that's just the beginning with box stores. With the smaller hardware stores, what you see is what you get and if you need larger quantities than they carry, they can get a shipment for you in days at near or better than the box store price. I did this with insulation from Ace and was impressed with the price, the service, and the great installation advise I got from the store.

Stop thinking that only big box stores can give you what you need. Look to the smaller local merchant who also spends his money/your money locally....many times, it makes SO much sense....
I agree wholeheartedly. In fact as a former NJ resident who always used Home Depot, I find it absolutely enjoyable to browse Bradley's Hardware here in Wolfeboro. It seems they have EVERYTHING one could need up here. And the employees are so helpful and knowledgeable.

In fact the longer I am here the more I am beginning to feel like this area has it's own little self-sustaining economy. Looking forward to learning more.

I have nothing against people having jobs at big box stores and DO feel for the folks who lost them, but as for supporting a more local economy, I think that is more sustainable.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote