View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #33
XCR-700

I have no desire to fan the flames about the poll itself or any of the other issues being kicked back and forth as I really don’t know anyone here, I’m simply interested in the subject and have a vested interest as someone who has been boating Winnipesaukee for 46 years!

That said,,, I again have to question what kind of boats were talking about, under what water/wind conditions, and what are the pertinent factors; load (fuel – people – gear) prop – engine hp - etc.

When I see some of you posting planing speeds of 16 and 18 and 20 MPH, I have to ask how is that possible, are you folks running 14’ aluminum flat-bottom jon-boats with a 20 HP outboards and but for the driver and 2 gal of gas, its empty???

Now in the case of my CVX-20, I think I have an odd combination, 27 gal fuel tank in the nose, super heavy V6 outboard hanging on the transom with a 3 blade high pitch/high rake prop, 2 batteries, extra oil, tools, spare SS prop (or 2 sometimes) usually loaded with the Mrs and 2 kids and lots of stuff for the kids (food – drinks – water toys – towels – etc) and almost NEVER see flat water. So I fully except that my over 30 MPH planing speed is abnormally high for a 20’ ski boat, but it is what it is. And though my stern heavy 23’ similarly loaded does a bit better with a planing speed in the upper 20’s, its still no where near the crowd that seem to be talking about solid planing under 20 MPH.

Hell, with my “std” 25” prop on the CVX-20 I think my idle speed is almost 10 MPH,,,

What am I missing here???

Are people seriously getting 20’ and larger fiberglass family/pleasure boats that are fully loaded with gear – fuel – and people to run on a solid plane at speeds under 20 MPH???

I just find that awful hard to believe,,,