View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #18
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
I have an idea; rather than take the risk that this forum does not represent the real Winnipesaukee boating public or that people here are just lying about their planing speeds (or don't know how to drive their own boats), how about if we consult a reputable performance boating reference and use the planing speeds they have found when they tested each model boat? Then, with the help of an elected State official who has access to the State's registration database, we use those real planing speeds and set a nighttime speed limit accordingly? And of course, we will throw out the extremes (say the fastest and slowest 1%), because we should not let our laws be tailored to suit one costumed cowboy in a 55-foot 3000HP 92dB cigarette boat (you know who I mean) or one old codger in a 12' jon boat with a 1919 one-cylinder 1/2 HP outboard.
So if 99% of the boats registered for use principally on Winnipesaukee were found by this reference to have a planing speed below say 40MPH, then 40MPH would be the new "compromise" nighttime limit. If 99% of the boats registered for use principally on Winnipesaukee were found to have a planing speed below 18.6MPH, then 18.6MPH would be the new "compromise" nighttime limit. But of course, this only works if we ALL agree to abide by it and support the compromise...and to then respect the newly established limit. Can we all agree to this? I will. And it sounds right in line with the intent of this "compromise".
Hint: Be careful what you wish for.
I completely agree with the concept, the problem I see is finding a reliable source.

I have read all kinds of "official" boat test reports and all too often the numbers quoted read like a fairy tale.

When you see 20 foot bowriders with v6 I/O that they claim runs in the low 50's top speed and planes at 18 MPH all the while burning like 3 GPH you just have to shake you head and ask, how much did the manufacturer pay you to write this crap.

I think you would be very hard pressed to find any quality reference data that would stand up to a reasonable standard. You would need something like those insurance institute tests, or UL, or someone like that who wasn't in the tank for either the boat manufacturers, or the anti-boat crowd.

I guess you could hire someone with a GPS and radar gun to randomly test the boats of forum members boats, but that seems like an extreme option,,,

It will be interesting to see where this goes,,,