View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
NoRegrets

NB - Great job and congrats on the 43 years! My bride and I will be 29 years in a few weeks!

Since I still have an optimistic streak in me and fairly new to the forum I will expose my boats performance and be prepared to go to the edge....

There are many tyes of vessels to consider. The small, medium, and large bow riders. Small, large and medium crusiers, and the same for performance boats. I would expect sail and commercial boats would be exempt.

I have a 34' cruiser. MFG book weight was 13,000 lbs. We added generator, extra refridge, upgraded power, central vac, and added our "stuff" to the machine. We weigh in at 19,000 lbs with 740 HP total (Twin 8.1 gas engines), generator, 225 gallons fuel, 45 gallons water, and the same for waste.

To plane we give full throttle. It takes a little less than 20 seconds (1200 rpm to 3200 rpm) to get out of the "hole". The "monster wake" can be destructive and we are careful to make sure we do this in an appropriate location. If we have to come off plane due to b-heads oh-well...

Once on plane we cruse at 3400 (thanks to ethanal - used to be 3000) rpm and the wake is as small as a 24 foot Four Winds.

At 3400 rpm we are doing 29 mph. At 32 mph the machine is at total harmony and as smooth as silk. At 4800 rpm we can get to 48mph.

If anyone read past the details of my post here is the bottom line. 25 MPH is not fast enough for me to get out of the hole and I plow the lake leaving a terrible wake. I normally try to stay at least 600 feet from shore since the wake looses much of its energy (I am sure some may like to challenge this).

I would like to see if we can have this discussion and include cruisers.........

I am sure the statistical medium planning speed will be lower than my type of vessel can efficiently operate due to the number of smaller boats. It would be impossible to enforce different limits by boat type. There is a real challenge to make the suggestion that elchase is offering work.

It is worth the try and debate!