View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Fat Wood

We have a Heathstone Heritage soapstone woodstove that is our primary heat source, with our oil heat being our backup.

We use fat wood, which is southern pine wood harvested from the stumps of trees that have been cut down. They leave the stumps for a period of years, allowing the sap to continue to build and supersaturate the wood.

From a cold start, I take two sheets of newspaper, roll it loosely and form rings, set them in the middle of the stove fire pit, place one to two pieces of fatwood on them (pieces are about 6-7 ins long and anywhere from 1/16 to 1/4 in thick), and then put the wood around it. No need to build a kindling fire and then add logs. If I happen to have a few small pieces, I will use them, but not necessary. Light the paper, keep the door open until the fatwood catches fire, then close the door, draft wide open. It will even fire wet wood, or green wood, but I do put an extra stick of fatwood in there for that.

Re-firing the stove in the morning, I will stir the coals around with the poker, place a piece of fatwood in the middle of the firepit area, and then load in the logs. Just helps the coals to ignite the logs faster, and give us heat quicker.

I buy the 35 lb box from Problem Solvers for $40, but sometimes have a promo code or coupon to lower the cost. the box lasts us more than one season, and we burn from Oct to Apr.