Thread: Binoculars
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 07:37 AM   #15
Rich

They say for marine use, on a moving boat you want 7X50. This works well as anything with more than 7 magnification is difficult to hold still while a boat is rocking or moving. The 50 objective lens is good for low light use.

I often wear glasses, so it's very important to me to have a good amount of eye relief, but much more important to me is an adjustable eye cup!

Unfortunately these days it is very hard to find adjustable eye cups on new binoculars! Now they all "feature" fold over rubber eye cups. These tend to break and tear after a couple of years.

I think the rubber fold over eye cups are much less expensive to manufacture, and a lot of people don't think about this at the time of purchase. Even most very expensive binoculars have this problem.

Luckily I found a pair of West Marine branded binoculars that hat adjustable eye cups, but I think they discontinued this model.

If you want binoculars for boating, get 7x50 in the best you can afford, and try them yourself. Image quality can vary greatly from model to model. If they are not for boating use, 8x40 is a minimum, or better maybe 10x50 if you have steady hands.